Thursday, August 25, 2005

Creation

Fine.


Fine. I hope you bastards are happy. I've made a blog. Woop-de-doo.

Well, life seems to be a decent shamble right now, with events being tossed left, right and center. Tossing together some ideas for businesses, small things to rub two coins together and make a third. You know, one of these days, when I get a hang of the whole writing thing, I'll probably elaborate on the schemes I've tried over the years. Jesus. I was stupid. Well, live and learn and all that.

In the plethora of recent events, there does seem to be one recurring theme which will annoy me to my grave: bigotry. Now, I would like to throw something out that I know a whole bunch of you will not like me for: I have been known to stereotype. Unfortunately, I do not seem to be the only one. You all do too. Oh sure, it could be crossing the street late at night when you see a black guy walking in the opposite direction as you, or it could be double-checking your change when you're buying something from a shady district. It could be looking down on some happy family with matching fanny packs. Damn tourists. Oh, sorry.

Back to the argument: We all stereotype, in some way or another. It's been ingrained in us since Ug didn't want to go see Gleek, because Gleek's tribe has been known to kill others on sight. Shame on Ug. Just because Gleek came from a bad tribe does not mean that he might be a bad person. But, that's survival. Your mind will react to even the hint of a perceived threat, no matter how remote it might be, and well either remind you of the threat or take action itself. In the case of the sketchy black man in Harlem at night wearing a loose hoody and torn pants, sure, that guy might just be a perfectly nice person, but if he isn't you'll wind up far worse off than you were to begin with. Not worth the risk.

Stereotyping isn't bad. It's natural. You will all have a perceived notion of someone the second you see them depending on how they dress, act, and respond. When you interact with them, your opinion might change, but you did have that initial reaction to them before even bothering to talk with them. If I see a white kid with twenty medallions, an Ecko Ltd shirt, pants four sizes bigger than he, and walking in a completely obnoxious manner, I will internally label him as "white kid who wants to be black" and ignore him. You might have a different reaction, but you will nonetheless have a reaction. What my reaction was might not have been the best. He could have been a perfectly intelligent and clever young lad who would enlighten me in many subjects. But I wasn't going to bother with him.

Picture this: You're at a party. You don't know anyone there. No one. But you're kinda social. What do you do? You look at the group of people assembled, pick out one or two people who look and/or act in ways that you are familiar and comforable with, and go talk to them. From there, as the night goes on, you might branch out and talk to others, but in all likelihood you will have analyzed, whether consciously or not, every person you see and came up with the best person/people to break the ice with. Why? Because you know what they act like, and you can make safe assumptions on what there reactions will be. "Sir, that is a horrible stereotype. Just because they look, act, and talk a certain way does not mean that they will react to something the way you think they will. " Sorry, but in all likelihood, they will.

In short -- Stereotyping is not an evil thing wrought on by our society. It is a natural and humane thing that has been going on for our entire history, and I see no reason at all to change it.

...There are too many god damn tourists in the City now. Hate them. Stupid tourists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home